iServi News | 4 June 2021 | Term 2, Week 7
Character Strength Spotlight: Persistence
Provided by Cat Lamb, a consultant with the Institute of Positive Education at Geelong.
- Perseverance, industriousness.
- Working hard and sticking with something valuable that you’ve started
Persistence is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Courage, including Zest and Honesty. These strengths are about taking action even when it’s hard to do so.
What does a focus on Persistence look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of perseverance and industriousness?
SOME SUGGESTED ACTIVITIES
- Build something big, like a Lego tower or marble run.
- Learn something new about a hobby, or deepen your enjoyment by undertaking a new element.
- Pick something to work towards; 50 pushups, knitting a scarf, cooking a whole meal… the options are endless.
- Consider how you self-sabotage, or let negative self-talk about procrastination stall your efforts at persevering.
- Spot yourself using persistence, and reflect on the feeling.
TRY THESE THREE THINGS
The Little Engine that Could, Watty Piper
Grit, Angela Duckworth
- TED Talk
Why you will fail to have a great career, Larry Smith
Mrs Franca Coutts