iServi News | 19 February 2021 | Term 1, Week 2
Last week our Year 7 students commenced the Formation Program, which runs for the first four weeks of term. The program equips our new students with skills that enable their learning success.
The learning intentions for the Formation Program are:
- To discover what it means to be a part of the Servite community
- To discover how to be a researcher, an innovator, and an entrepreneur
- To discover key learning skills of critical thinking, creativity, innovation, communication, collaboration and enterprise.
Each core subject has taken these learning intentions and embedded them in to their programs.
- I discover what it means to live in a community.
- I discover the history of the Servite Order.
- I discover the formation of my Priory.
- I know who my class and Priory members are.
- I discover who my classmates are through story sharing.
- I develop a sense of curiosity through reading.
- I discover new story genres and reading strategies.
- I discover practices and habits to help me be successful in English.
- I consolidate my reading and comprehension skills.
- I discover how to read closely and build glossaries.
- I discover how to use dot points for summarising and how to take Cornell notes for studying.
- I discover how to answer questions properly using correct punctuation and paragraphs, and how to proof read my work.
- I discover how to write using evidence to support my argument.
- I discover a mathematical mindset.
- I develop and refine my numeracy skills.
- I discover data all around me, and learn to analyse it.
- I discover the science lab, science equipment and how to accurately measure.
- I discover how to make observations.
- I discover how to design an investigation.
- I discover how to represent data.
- I discover patterns and trends.
Week One of our Formation Program saw students exploring ICT skills and tools to assist them in their learning.
ICT Orientation: Mr Rick Williams explained how to access SEQTA, Microsoft Teams, OneNote, Box of Books and create Word files.
Alexis Research Centre Orientation: Ms Vanessa Hollis provided students with an orientation to the Alexis Research Centre (ARC) and showed them how to use the printer, borrow books and use the study areas.
Introduction to Learning at Servite: Mrs Kim Walker led the session which explored what being a learner looks like.
I have found the Formation Program very interesting. Eli Rodgers (SA2)
I have really liked making friends over the last few weeks – but it’s hard to learn how to open my locker. Josie Slee (SM1)
I can open my locker easily now. Lexi Margaritis (SM2)
I was excited for school to start and to make new friends. Now that it’s started, I’m excited for camp, and for all the fun activities that we will do there. Bianca Jalloh (SM5)
The Formation Program helped me make new friends and learn new things. Jordy Nikoloski (SM3)
Mr Peter Jones
Deputy Principal – Teaching and Learning